To support high quality PE and grow opportunities for students to be physically active before, during and after school, in 2014, with the support of the NFL Foundation, the NFL and GENYOUth developed a turn-key approach to the crisis in physical inactivity by supporting America’s PE teachers with resources to help students build a foundation for healthy, lifelong physical activity through football. NFL FLAG-In-Schools Kits allow for students to get active and learn the basics of football in a fun environment.
- LESS THAN HALF of youth meet the HHS recommendation of at least 60 minutes of daily vigorous to moderate intensity physical activity
- EXPERTS have called on schools to adopt more strategies to help children participate in HIGH-QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION and other physical activity opportunities before, during and after school
- THE MEDIAN physical education budget per school in the U.S. IS LESS THAN $1.50 PER STUDENT PER YEAR
Getting 60 minutes of play a day is an essential part of youth leading a healthy lifestyle, and FLAG football offers a fun way to stay active and build important skills. The curriculum, designed for elementary and middle school age students, provides teachers with the educational resources needed to implement FUTP 60 NFL FLAG-In-Schools into their respective P.E. curriculum.
Check out these resources to support you, your students and flag football in your school:
- NFL FLAG curricula designed by SHAPE America
- On FuelUpToPlay60.com
- Teacher Resources:
- NFL FLAG In Schools - Get in the Game! Play in the Fuel Up to Play 60 Playbook, full of solutions to help schools increase physical activity and healthy eating opportunities before, during and after school.
- Student Resources:
- Students can join the team and earn points, track and report on their activities, and have the opportunity to win great prizes – both for themselves and their school.
- Coaching Resources:
- Health and safety resources which include information on heat and hydration and advanced player engagement.
- Student Opportunities:
- Students have the opportunity to continue their engagement into the NFL FLAG program by joining a league in their area. By joining a league, they are enabled the opportunity to play in a regional tournament hosted by an NFL team.
Now get out there and…#LetsPlayFootball
Making an Impact:
- Since launching in 2014, 9 million students have become more active before, during and after school through NFL FLAG-In-Schools.
- 98% of teachers use the kits in their PE classes.
- NFL FLAG-In-Schools increases PE teachers’ confidence and ability to teach/coach flag football.
- 50 new varsity middle school girls NFL FLAG-In-Schools leagues in Miami-Dade County Public Schools and 1,100 girls now playing varsity flag football.
To learn more about NFL FLAG-In-Schools, visit FuelUpToPlay60.com. To find or start an NFL FLAG-In-Schools league in your community, visit NFLFLAG.com